Varsity Softball Looks Forward to Another Successful Season

Lady Warriors look forward to a memorable season.
The 11 returning letter winners pose for the progress. From left to right in the back row are seniors Madison Butler, Jayley Coval, Greysyn Gable, Carsyn Wesesky, Mallory Graham, and Brooke Bainey. Back row left to right is Makena Moore, Kayleigh Woodring, Chelsey Wesesky, Layla Thompson, and Mackenzie MacTavish.
Image/Graphics by Jaclyn Yingling

Last season the West Branch varsity softball team excelled. The Lady Warriors made their way to the District 6 Championship game and unfortunately fell to the Claysburg-Kimmel Bulldogs. On the brighter side, the team got the opportunity to advance to states where they won the opening round against Elk County Catholic. Sadly the Lady Warrior’s season ended during the second round of states where they fell to Union 5-2. Overall, the team had a great run being District Runners-Up, Elite 8 in Pennsylvania, and ICC North Co-Champions. After losing just three seniors, the team will have 11 returning letter winners looking to go even further this year.

The eleven returners consist of Brooke Bainey, Madison Butler, Carsyn Wesesky, Mallory Graham, Greysyn Gable, Jayley Coval, Makena Moore, Chelsey Wesesky, Kayleigh Woodring, Layla Thompson, and Mackenzie MacTavish. The team also gained five underclassmen which include Cheyanne Bush, Haley Woodling, Bella Koleno, Gracie Eyerly, and Shasta Manahan. The Warriors started their first official practice on Monday, March 4th. The girls then had two scrimmages the following week. On Wednesday, March 13th, the Lady Warriors hosted Bellwood-Antis for a preseason scrimmage. The varsity softball field wasn’t in playing condition, so they hosted the scrimmage at the Morrsidale Little League fields. The two teams did 6-out innings to get each team’s lineups through. Scores and books were not kept. Then, on Friday, March 15th, the Warriors were to scrimmage State College away, but they canceled early due to weather. The team then traveled to Philipsburg-Oceola instead for a scrimmage to get one last chance of live playing. Both scrimmages were held to prepare all teams before their actual games started. All players got to see some live pitching and got an opportunity to play on the field. The scrimmages also gave the coaches a look at which players would help benefit the team best where they’re positioned. Junior Makena Moore and senior Carsyn Wesesky are West Branch’s only pitchers. Off the mound, both girls look to see plenty of playing time at first base. Typically behind the plate, you’d see catcher Greysyn Gable, but the senior is currently out with an injury. That said, the Warriors look to take previous third baseman Brooke Bainey and place her behind the plate. Then, third base looks to be occupied by senior Madison Butler or freshman Shasta Manahan. After losing the starting shortstop Kamryn MacTavish last year, sophomore Hayley Woodling looks to take over the position. Second base will either be accompanied by junior Layla Thompson who finished off last season playing there due to an injury from graduate Alaina Royer, or sophomore Gracie Eyerly. Thompson may also see some time at third base whereas Butler could see time at second. As for the outfield, juniors Chelsey Wesesky, Kayleigh Woodring, and sophomore Bella Kolena fight for a spot in left field. Senior Mallory Graham will return to centerfield, and sophomore Cheyanne Bush will be right behind her. Right field is also up for grabs after losing graduate Hannah Betts. Senior Jayley Coval looks to take over while sophomore Mackenzie MacTavish is also competing. Freshman Shasta Manahan will be a tribute to the team, looking to see some time at third, first, or behind the plate. However, no positions are set in stone. There are a lot of great athletes on this team that seek to go far this season. Senior Brooke Bainey said, “I am excited to see how far we can make it and also to see what we can accomplish as a team for my senior year.” The Lady Warrior’s home opener was supposed to be Thursday, March 21st against Glendale, but the game was canceled due to weather. The team’s first game is now Monday, March 25th, at 5:00 p.m. vs. Central Cambria. Good luck to the team this season!