The Lady Warrior Soccer Team Returns 12 Letter-Winners

The West Branch Lady Warrior soccer team brings back 12 letter-winners.
Image/Graphics by Jaclyn Yingling
The 12 Lady Warrior letter-winners pose for a picture at Meet the Warriors.

The Lady Warrior soccer team is returning 12 letter-winners this season, consisting of 7 seniors, 2 juniors, and 3 sophomores. 

This season, the team has a total of 18 players. There are 9 seniors, 3 juniors, 4 sophomores, and 2 freshmen. The team only lost three seniors from last season, which is better than the previous year, when they lost nine seniors. After losing three Seniors, the team gained two freshmen: Reagan Correll and McKenzie Harbold.

So far, the Lady Warriors are undefeated with a record of 3-0. They have played Clarion, Northern Bedford, and Everett. The Lady Warriors won 11-0 against Clarion, then against Northern Bedford, the team won 4-3. This is an improvement, as last season the Lady Warriors fell to Northern Bedford two times with scores of 4-1 and 4-3. Finally, the Lady Warriors beat Everett 9-1 this season. Last season the Lady Warriors beat Everett 11-0 and 7-0.

Although the team is only three games in, they already have a leading scorer, Jenna Mertz. Jenna is a senior at West Branch and has had a big impact on the Lady Warrior soccer team. She scored 35 goals last season and already has 11 this season. Jenna Mertz stated, “I’m super proud of the team for coming together to work as a unit. It was a worry area in the summer but I feel like we got it together and we are looking really good for the season!”

The Lady Warriors have many upcoming games. This week, the Lady Warriors are facing Curwensville on Tuesday. Curwensville, a team they beat 15-0 and then 15-1 last season, is looking to give the Warriors a battle. The Lady Warriors also have their second home game this Thursday against Tussey Mountain at 4 p.m. If you want to support the Lady Warriors, Thursday is the perfect time.