The Soccer Teams of WB Recap for the Week of 9/18.

West Branch boys and girls team had an overall successful week.
  • The Lady Warriors host Mo Valley with the Youth WB teams.

Image/Graphics by Ashley Mertz
  • Carson Long celebrates as he scores against Tyrone for the win.

Image/Graphics by Syed Karimushan

On Monday, September 18th, The Lady Warriors hosted the Rockwood Rockets. The Lady Warriors dominated as they beat Rockwood 7-1.  The teamwork from the Warriors Monday night was unstoppable. The Lady Warrior’s first goal of the night was a cross from Jenna Mertz leading to Sarah Guglielmi finishing in the back of the net. The home side definitely started on the right foot at the start of the game. Sarah exclaimed, “The chemistry that the team had Monday night was unbelievable. We connected on a different level and will continue to grow”. Sarah Guglielmi also had the second goal for the Warriors off another cross by Jenna Mertz. Kaylea Fenush had a goal to add one to the score, and Jenna ended the game with four goals. The defense was a big factor in this win, only letting one goal get by them. The Lady Warriors successfully took down Rockwood ending with seven goals to one. 

Then, The Lady Warriors had another home on Wednesday the 20th. The girls also welcomed youth night to the field having the 10u team join their pregame run out. The Warriors came out hot with a quick start. They beat Mo Valley on Wednesday 8-0 while having five different players score on the night. The team was very selfless tonight which gave different players a moment to shine on the stat sheet. 

The last game of the week for the girls was away at Bishop Guilfoyle. The Lady Warriors had a hard time with an ending score of 3-0 in favor of Bishop Guilfoyle. Bishop Guilfoyle has always been a big competitor in District Six. The Warriors will most likely see the Marauders in the playoffs. They will be ready to compete when the time comes.

The boys’ soccer team had a total of two games this past week on Tuesday and Thursday. On Tuesday, September 19th, The Mounties played Tyrone at home winning with the battling score of 3-1. Carson Long had two goals on the night and Sawyer Sites had one, both players from Philipsburg scoring against Tyrone. 

On Thursday, September 21st, The Mounties fought hard against the Huntington Bearcats but ended in a 0-0 tie. There are no clear stats for this game except for the goalie from Philipsburg having one impressive night. Matt Thompson was in the net for the Mounties having a total of nine saves on goal. That is what we like to hear for WB soccer! Overall, both boys and girls teams both had an exceptional week.