The Lady Warriors Soccer Recap for the Week of 9/25

The West Branch girls soccer team had a great week and won all three games they played.
Image/Graphics by Ryleigh Correll
West Branch Lady Warriors Take On Tussey Mountain at Home.

The Lady Warriors are halfway through the soccer season and have been very successful thus far. This week was terrific for the West Branch Warriors. With two away games and one home game, they won all three which were played on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday. On Monday, September 25th, the girls took on Huntingdon at the Huntingdon field. They won 3-2. The girls were led to victory by Jenna Mertz, who scored three goals, beating the Huntingdon girls’ soccer team by one point! Erin Godin did great on defense by hustling and helping guard the goal.

The following day, September 26th, the girls played a well-rounded game against Tussey Mountain at the Tussey Mountain Field and took the victory with a score of 5-0. The defense did great, not allowing the other team to score once. Many of the Lady Warriors scored, including Jenna Mertz scoring two goals, Sarah Guglielmi scoring one goal, Emma Bucha scoring one goal, and Jordan Walker scoring one goal. This was also Jordan Walker’s first varsity career goal! 

In the week’s final game, Thursday, September 28th, the girls defeated Cambria Heights at home 2-0. Emma Bucha had two goals, scoring two points for the team. Again, the defense did well in this game. The goalie, Alexa Prestash, helped the team with a shutout, not allowing the other team to score once. Her performance with goal kicks and punts helped the Warriors to get a good lead in the game. Raegan Correll says, “This week, the team worked well together winning all three games. We did great. I can’t wait to see how the rest of the season plays out.” Overall, there were three victorious games, and the girls did great. Thanks to their hard work and practice, they took down every team they played.