The Importance of Parent-Teacher Conferences

Parent-teacher conferences hold significant importance, even in the absence of poor grades, providing parents/guardians with an opportunity to understand and observe their student’s activities and progress in school.
West Branch Area High School is holding a Parent-Teacher Conference Night on November 9th.
Image/Graphics by Carrie Peterson

Parent-teacher conferences might not seem that important to most people, especially when your child has good grades, but they are. They can help strengthen the relationships with families and teachers.  These conferences also provide an opportunity for teachers to discuss the child’s academic progress, pinpoint areas of improvement, and identify any challenges the student may be facing in their learning journey.  The parents can also speak with the teacher to see what the child needs to work on at home to improve their overall performance.  Parents and teachers also have the opportunity to discuss any concerns or issues regarding the child’s academic or social performance in school.  ParentSquare emphasizes that “Parent-teacher conferences can help build a positive relationship between families and teachers. When they work together, parents/guardians and teachers can create a supportive learning environment that benefits the child’s academic and social development.” Collaboration is important when establishing a nurturing educational atmosphere for the child’s overall well-being.

In addition, it’s important to note that West Branch Area High School has only one conference day per year. High school teacher Ms. Debra Moriarity highlights, “Conference night is a good time to touch base with parents we don’t talk to regularly, including students who are doing well. Some parents prefer face-to-face meetings, while others opt for phone conversations. Either way, it is beneficial for everyone.” The annual conference day provides for meaningful communication between teachers and parents.

The parent-teacher conference day will be Thursday,  November 9th, 2023, from 1:30 p.m.-8.00 p.m. To make a time when you can sign up for a parent-teacher conference, you will need to go to ParentSquare and sign up for a meeting time. The parent-teacher conferences are held in the West Branch School District in the teachers’ classrooms. The time is spread out throughout the afternoon and evening, so everyone who signed up gets the time needed to talk to the teachers.