West Branch Art Club Is Back!

Mrs. Steffan brings back the Art Club, welcoming members with open arms!
Image/Graphics by Addison Collar
Staging figures on the window ledge of the art room.

On December 6th, Mrs. Steffan held the first art club meeting, inviting the new members into a warm and welcoming atmosphere. With the club being a hard start at the beginning of the quarter, members were thrilled to start finally. As the meeting started members completed group activities such as introducing themselves and sharing reasons why they joined. Discovering the majority of students wanted to expand on their artistic skills, and utilize the time to become more motivated to create. 

Mrs. Steffan went on to add “It can be hard to carve out an area of our busy lives for art-making. Art Club does that for us and inspires members to get back into doing what they love. Students at WB once again have a safe place to be expressive and be themselves, while forging new friendships and experiences that will have a lasting, positive impact. This is how we return to normalcy after the pandemic, revitalizing our social and emotional health.” 

After these activities were complete, Mrs. Steffan shared information about what was to come for the club bringing up her connection to a Penn State program that offers many different options for the club. Options include inviting professional artists to the school to share their work with the students and even offering field trips to Penn State art exhibits, and many other exciting experiences. After digging deeper into what’s to come members were asked to complete one last activity called “Exquisite Corpse.” The artwork will be hung near the cafeteria after the next meeting on Wednesday, December 13. 

Mrs. Steffan is welcoming any student to join! Saying “It’s a big deal that WB finally has an art club again! It provides students with the time and space to be creative, gain new art skills and experiences, and a way to meet like-minded peers. Artists and creative people are innately unique and need a community of people who understand and accept our quirks and eccentricities.” If any student is interested in joining find room 113 after school on Wednesdays. Students have all year to join, if transportation is a problem, students may ride the elementary bus.