STEAM Night: Igniting Passion for Science and Innovation

West Branch’s first ever STEAM Night is coming and you don’t want to miss it!
Join West Branch on Wednesday, February 21st for its inaugural STEAM Night, an event dedicated to promoting Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics (STEAM).
Image/Graphics by Carrie Peterson

On the evening of February 21st, from 5-7pm, West Branch is set to host its first-ever STEAM Night, an event aimed at promoting Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics (STEAM). This initiative has invited professionals from various STEAM-related fields to share their expertise and also a fun and exciting hands-on activity for students to participate in. According to Mrs. Peterson, “The primary goal of STEAM Night is to introduce students to STEAM-related subjects and ignite their enthusiasm for these fields. By engaging students in hands-on activities and interactive experiences, the event aims to encourage them to explore and consider pursuing STEAM-related occupations in the future.” West Branch encourages all students, from PreK to 12th grade, to participate in STEAM night. They also emphasize the importance of including young women, considering their underrepresentation in STEAM-related careers.

According to The Society for Human Resources Management, nearly 3.5 million STEAM-related jobs will need to be filled by 2025, making West Branch’s STEAM Night an important opportunity to showcase various STEAM-related activities for students. Local organizations such as the Launchbox at Penn State DuBois, The Freedman Chemistry Lab at PSU, Lock Haven Clearfield, The Discovery Space, Society of Women Engineers, WPSU, Pennsylvania State Parks, CCCTC, as well as West Branch’s teachers and school clubs, will be presenting at STEAM Night.

Students can look forward to engaging in AR and VR experiences, printing their own t-shirts, coding activities, DNA extraction, chemistry experiments, creating flip-books, launching rockets, building structures and catapults, making invisible ink, robotics, crafting solar viewers for the upcoming eclipse, and so much more!

The main attractions for STEAM Night will be located in the auxiliary gym, high school cafeteria, and library. From 5 pm to 7 pm, students can participate in captivating hands-on activities. The West Branch Key Club will offer free food for participants during the event, which includes chili, chicken noodle soup, and hot dogs. Additionally, each student will receive a STEAM-related book of their choice as a token of appreciation for their participation.

Mark your calendars and join West Branch for STEAM Night! Be prepared to dive into exciting activities on Wednesday, February 21st from 5-7 pm.