Categories:

PO/WB Boys’ Soccer Team Starts Hot

PO/WB boy’s soccer team begins their season with an impressive 4-0 start.
Cale McDowell celebrating with his teammates after scoring the game-winning goal
Image/Graphics by Rich Murawski

The Philipsburg-Osceola/West Branch Boys soccer team is off to an impressive start with a record of 4-0. Despite losing nine seniors, team manager Irelyn Briscoe stated, “We still have a strong line-up.”

On August 27th, the team had their home opener and first game against Clearfield High School. They won 4-2. PO Senior, Carson Long scored all four goals. Siler Dixon, Nate Riggleman, and Damian Vaughn all tacked on an assist. Goalie Matt Thompson made two crucial saves to secure the win.

Next, the team hosted Bald Eagle Area High School and delivered a commanding 5-0 shutout. Long scored four more goals and Sites added another. Assists came from Riggleman and junior Aaron Henninger, while Thompson recorded four saves. During the game Long achieved a milestone, becoming PO’s soccer program’s all-time leading scorer with 91 career goals. He is currently ranked number one in the state and 10th in the nation for goals scored this season. 

On September 3rd, the team traveled to Johnstown and continued their winning streak with an  8-2 victory. Long added six more goals to his record, and tied the school record for most goals scored in a game. West Branch graduate Alex Godin also shares this record. Sites contributed one goal and four assists, while Dixon added a goal and an assist. Riggleman and Ian Gray each had an assist, and Thompson tallied six saves. 

Their most recent victory came on September 5th with a 2-1 win over Bishop Carroll. Long scored once again, and West Branch Freshman Cale McDowell scored the game-winning goal with 1:15 left on the clock. Sites also tacked on one assist and Thompson made an impressive nine saves. 

The Philipsburg-Osceola/West Branch boys soccer team is off to an impressive start, with Sites, Dixon, Riggleman, and several other starters ranking in the top 50 in the state for assists per game. Briscoe expressed confidence in the team’s chances, stating, “They have a very high likelihood of returning to the D6 finals for the second year in a row.”  

The team’s next game is at home against Bishop Guilfoyle High School on Tuesday, September 10th, at 6 pm.