Categories:

Upcoming Senior Events and Deadlines 

Senior year starts with important meetings and events.
The Class of 2025 will continue with past traditions under new senior class advisors Jen Porter and Stacey Guenot.
Image/Graphics by Cheyenne Koppenhaver

The first meeting for the senior class was held last week on September 12, 2024. After 20 years as the senior class advisor, Jen Brickley stepped down at the end of the previous school year. New advisors, Jennifer Porter and Stacey Guenot discussed their plans and the timeline to graduation for the Class of 2025.

With the start of a new year, there is a revoting for class officers. The last day to apply for this was September 20th and voting will open Tuesday, September 24th. The positions are president, vice president, treasurer, and secretary. Students will need to submit their votes for class officers by the end of the school day on Friday, September 27th. These elected officers will be in charge of making decisions that affect the senior class in their final year at West Branch as well as communication beyond graduation about the Class of 2025.

Other important information for September is selecting ideas for the class motto, song, flower, and colors. If students have any suggestions, email Jennifer Porter or Stacey Guenot. This is extremely important because it will be put into the newspaper and will be incorporated into the yearbook. The meeting to select these is on October 15th, 2024. 

October, November, and December hold important events for the senior class. On October 3rd, 2024 there will be a reality fair which is a graduation requirement. This is crucial because graduation is dependent on it. The reality fair is when seniors are given a mock job and salary. Based on this income, students must budget their house, car, and other expenses. This is an eye-opening experience to show the importance of budgeting and selecting a career. 

Senior biography forms will be open from October 1st through December 13th, 2024. On November 4th, there will be a meeting with Jostens regarding orders for graduation gowns and announcements. A few days later on November 7th, there will be a meeting for the first cookie dough fundraiser. The orders are due on November 15th, so be sure to fundraise because there is only a small amount of time. Photo submissions for the senior section of the yearbook are on Friday, December 13th. This includes one casual picture and one baby picture. On December 17th, 2024, there is a FAFSA completion workshop in the HS library at 6:00 P.M. Students planning to attend a post-secondary school should plan to attend. The FAFSA is the form used to apply for federal student loans and aid. See Jen Porter is interested in attending.

The details of the finalization of the diploma will be in January. In February, there will be another meeting for the Claysburg Pizza fundraiser on the 3rd. On the 10th, the Claysburg Pizza fundraiser is due and the orders are delivered on the 20th. There will be a third fundraiser if necessary. Senior Ads for the yearbook are due on January 31st, 2025. If you have any questions about the yearbook, please contact Jessica Levonick.

It’s crunch time in May as graduation quickly approaches. Depending on fundraiser profits, the senior class trip will be on May 9th. This is not a guaranteed activity. Senior grades are due on May 21st, 2025.  On May 27th and 28th, there is required graduation practice; the senior breakfast and senior BBQ will be held during these days. Graduation will be held on May 30th, at 7:00 pm. Seniors should plan to arrive by 6 o’clock. 

Porter and Guenot shared their thoughts, saying, “We are very excited to be the new senior class advisors. Mrs Brickley did a great job for so many years and we plan to work hard to meet the high standards set for us. We plan to keep things pretty much the same as in previous years, at least for now. Some of the familiar traditions such as the senior BBQ, senior class trip, and the parade through the elementary are definitely worth keeping! We’d like to get student input on destinations for a class trip or maybe new things they would like to do this year. All in all, we hope this year will look much like years past in terms of the experience seniors get and the memories they will make.”