Categories:

Out With the Old, in With the New

Should West Branch have a ski club or an outdoor club?
 The Warriors 2023-2024 ski club boys: Logan Kyler, Noah Emigh, Brody Rothrock, Logan Kolp, Jacob Alexander, Lukas Colton, Joel Evans, and Braden Brown enjoy their trip to Sawmill Ski Resort.
Image/Graphics by Joel Evans

The West Branch Ski Club has a long-standing tradition. After taking a hiatus during the pandemic, the ski club returned for the 2022-2023 school year under the guidance of Ashley Wessell. However, the ski club is in jeopardy of becoming defunct for good. The 2024-2025 school year could be where the West Branch School District skiers don’t get to slide down the slopes since the club needs a new advisor. Some have suggested that the ski club needs to expand and become an outdoor club. 

With the change to the outdoor club, West Branch could see a higher participation rate of students and advisors. More students participating in an outdoor club could reduce the cost of trips. The more students that participate the more money that can be raised which would offset the cost. The Outdoor Club will also allow students to engage with their classmates in nature.

Last year the ski club went to three different ski resorts but had many scheduled trips get canceled due to an early spring and warmer-than-average winter. The outdoor club would offer all the same ski trips and more. This would introduce all sorts of outdoor activities like hiking, biking, camping, rafting, rock climbing, canoeing, and kayaking. More students may be inclined to participate in these activities rather than skiing as there is a lesser chance of injury and less expensive equipment needed.

Carrie Peterson has shared her opinion on the possible change saying, “With skiing becoming less reliable due to unpredictable winter weather in central PA, I like the idea of transitioning to an outdoors club. This would allow students to enjoy a wider range of activities throughout the school year. Even when there’s not enough snow, they can still participate in outdoor experiences like hiking, fishing, or kayaking. This change would create more opportunities for students to get outside, stay active, and explore nature in different ways while still having the chance to ski when conditions permit.”

Finally, the outdoor club could introduce new community service activities too. With the idea of cleaning up the Earth, West Branch students can engage in different conservation projects. This could give our wildlife a healthier environment while also making our district trash-free. To add on, the outdoor club could offer community service hours that look great on college applications and resumes.

In conclusion, West Branch’s ski club might have a brighter future if it were to be changed to an outdoor club. This is because it would offer greater opportunities for students to get outdoors while keeping the tradition of the West Branch Ski Club alive.