The award winners from the 2024 Challenge Program. Left: Evan Emigh, Coby Kephart, Gracie Eyerly, Samantha Stencil, Layla Thompson, Cheyanne Kopenhaver, Joey Kovalcin, and Alexa Prestash. Missing from photo: Matthew Banghart, and Kamryn Bloom.
Image/Graphics by Carrie Peterson
Categories:

Champions Assembly

Ten Students are award winners of $200.

A total of 10 students won $200 during the Challenge assembly that was held on September 27. The Challenge Program Inc.’s mission is to motivate high school students to develop the habits required to succeed in school and their careers by building business and education partnerships. Different businesses from across the state sponsor area school districts. American Eagle Paper Mills, located in Tyrone, sponsors West Branch students.

The program holds assemblies at participating schools annually. At these assemblies, sponsors explain what awards students could win, and the importance of the five areas that lead to success in the workplace: academic excellence, attendance, STEAM, most improved, and community service. Each year, two students are selected for each of these achievements. West Branch students Joey Kovalcin and Alexa Prestash won for academic excellence; Gracie Eyerly and Samantha Stencil won for community service; Layla Thompson and Coby Kephart won for attendance; Kamryn Bloom and Matthew Banghart won for most improved; Evan Emigh and Cheyenne Koppenhaver won for STEAM.

The assembly will happen annually at the beginning of the school year. West Branch guidance counselor Jennifer Porter describes why it is important for students to participate in such programs. “It is possible to be rewarded for doing good things at school and taking your high school years seriously. If you follow the Challenge Program on social media, they do frequent drawings for gift cards – any student from any member school is eligible to win.” As said before, West Branch is a participating school in the Challenge Program and is eligible to win these rewards. Julie Rothrauff from American Eagle Paper Mills was the guest speaker at the assembly. She engaged students in the assembly by telling the crowd about the American Eagle Paper Mill company and their employment opportunities. They travel from place to place to promote their business; the end goal is for them to introduce their company in a positive light to students so that in the future they have possible interested candidates for employment.

The Challenge Program chooses a set amount of students to win an award of $200. They also host a student of the year competition that allows eligible candidates a chance to win $2,500. Three finalists get invited to their annual Crystal Owl Gala and are guaranteed to receive $2,000 and the remaining 7 out of the top 10 students will also receive $500. These competitions are open to any 10th, 11th, or 12th-grade students. To apply for these opportunities go to the Challenge Program website