Geography Bee Competition

The Geography Bee is a competition between the 6th grade, 7th grade, and 8th grade students planned to happen in-school this week. The national competition is planned for January 2019. In this competition, students will be asked various geography questions. “This competition is supposed to encourage students to learn about the world and how it works” said Mr. Carr, the judge of the in-school competition. There are seven rounds, where any student from 6th 7th or 8th grade can participate, then they go to a finals round that will go to a championship round of 4 people. The winner will then be crowned the WB champion of the Geography Bee. After the championship round at West Branch, the student that wins has a chance to qualify for a state competition by taking a qualifiers test. This is a national competition. Each state champion will advance to the National Championship and compete for cash awards and college scholarships. In 2019, the national champion will receive a $25,000 college scholarship, $1,000 in cash, a lifetime membership in the National Geographic Society, and a trip to the Galápagos Island.

Last years WB Champion was 7th grader Samuel Fry. Noah Emigh took 2nd and Bradley Woods took 3rd. Although Sam tried his hardest last year he did not qualify for the states via the qualifiers test. The in-school Geography Bee is planned to take place this week.

For more information go to the link below.

https://www.nationalgeographic.org/bee