Lady Warriors Take on Penns Valley

Sarah Betts makes a catch at first to finish the play.

On March 25th, Lady Warriors suffered a 7-0 loss at their first game against Penns Valley. The Warriors expected an easy game, but putting up a great fight through all seven innings proved how dedicated the girls will play this year.

Every player put in a lot of effort, but a few girls showed some exceptional highlights. Senior Mallarie Maines, had a great game with two of the Warriors’ five hits that night and an additional stolen base. Sophomore Brianna Bone had one hit, as well as juniors Elishea Reed and Ashley Mertz. Defensively the Lady Warriors had a solid game, with Ruthie Betts and Ashley Mertz making great catches and Julia Herring working hard on the field. Over the last five innings in the game, Emma Miller pitched great, not giving up any runs. Overall the girls played great and will be working on fundamentals in both fielding and hitting to get ready for their next game.

This year, West Branch was in search of a new head softball coach. After a long journey, Coach Dennis Arnold was chosen. Being the assistant coach for over eight years, coach Arnold has the experience. Everyday the team is making progress, and are striving for a win. The Lady Warriors’ next game is on March 28th at Bellwood.