Staff Member of the Month

Image/Graphics by Kaitlyn McGonigal
Mr. Zimmerman using the 3D printing machine.

The Staff Member of the Month for February is Mr. Zimmerman. Mr. Zimmerman is the Woodshop, CAD, Intro to Tech and Robotics teacher at West Branch. Mr. Zimmerman has been a key part of technology and hands-on learning at West Branch for five years. He works very hard every day to help students succeed.

Mr. Zimmerman graduated from Corry Area High School in 2008. He found his love for technology and woodwork in a high school cabinet-making class where his teacher encouraged him to pursue a degree in technology education after his teacher noticed Mr. Zimmerman’s true talent and genuine interest in the subject. Mr. Zimmerman said that his mentors are his parents who pushed him to achieve his goals and have supported him throughout his entire life. Mr. Zimmerman was inspired to become a teacher when he found enjoyment in helping peers who were struggling in high school.

When Mr. Zimmerman began working at West Branch, the school was in need of a Tech Ed. teacher. He had to work very hard to learn the material in AutoCad and Robotics in order to rebuild the program that West Branch did not have for several years. Thanks to Mr. Zimmerman, the Robotics class is now a very popular elective among many technology-gifted students at West Branch.

Over the years that Mr. Zimmerman has taught at West Branch, he has given his students the basics on several subjects that will help in careers of skilled labors for the future. He teaches students from 7th to 12th, meaning that his curriculum inspires and influences young students who find technology and drafting interesting. Some of Mr. Zimmerman’s best students who found his class intriguing have decide to attend the CCCTC to pursue careers in that field. Mr. Zimmerman says “I think it is important for the community to know that there will always be a need for hands-on skilled labor.”

Outside of teaching, Mr. Zimmerman enjoys outdoor activities such as fishing, hunting, and hiking. Mr. Zimmerman also is a part of a Disc Golf Club in State College.

Following February 13th, Mr. Zimmerman will no longer be teaching at West Branch. He will work at Park Forest Middle School, where he will teach manufacturing. Some words of wisdom from Mr. Zimmerman, “I think it is important for everyone to realize that there is no such thing as failure. Every single person has the opportunity to be GREAT at something and it is their responsibility to find out what it is and pursue it for the rest of their life!”

On behalf of the students, faculty, and staff, a big thanks is sent to Mr. Zimmerman for his hard work over his teaching at West Branch. Good luck and best wishes for his future.

Some appreciation for Mr. Zimmerman from the students and staff:

Nathan Clark says, “Mr. Zimmerman is a good wood shop teacher.”

Ayden Gutierrez shares, “Mr. Zimmerman is a very wise, intelligent intellectual. I appreciate his hard work in teaching students non traditional curriculum, such as woodworking and drafting.”

Eddie Dale explains, “I appreciate that safety is always his number one priority. In the world of carpentry, always use a push stick.”

One of Mr. Zimmerman’s favorite quotes:

“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” -Thomas Edison