Lady Warriors Win First State Game Ever in West Branch Soccer History

Image/Graphics by Photo credits to Jane Prestash
Lady Warrior Soccer team celebrate after winning their first state playoff game.

Spring Run – The Lady Warriors avenged their ICC championship loss against the Fannett Metal Lady Tigers, defeating them 2-1 in their overtime victory last night in the Warrior’s first state playoff game. The Lady Warriors started out slow in the first half, playing mostly defense and getting scarce opportunities in the offensive end. Luckily for the Lady Warriors, goalkeeper Sarah Betts and the defense were able to hold their opponents to only one goal in the first half. With the score 1-0 in favor of the Lady Tigers, West Branch was determined to come out with a new mentality in the second half. 

The momentum switched to be in favor of the Lady Warriors as they completely dominated the midfield the entire second half. West Branch was pressuring hard, getting many opportunities on net. Finally, Lady Warrior Trinity Prestash was able to net one in the back of the goal. It happened after freshman Jenna Mertz was able to pick up a loose ball and pass it into the middle to Prestash who took a left foot shot, chipping the keeper. Although the Lady Warriors had the possession, they were unable to net a leading goal before the end of the half. 

It was deja-vu for both teams heading into overtime. In the previous two meetings of West Branch and Fannett-Metal, the Lady Warriors have been bested in penalty kicks after two long overtimes. However, it was clear this time the Lady Warriors would not suffer the same fate as they kept the momentum favorable and continuously pressured the Lady Tigers’ defense. Finally, Prestash was able to turn and shoot after receiving a pass about 30 yards out from Olivia Stavola. Prestash’s shot chipped right over the keeper’s hands and went in the net. The Lady Warriors celebrated their glorious win and the first state win in West Branch Soccer program history. 

The Lady Warriors will now advance to the elite 8 in the PIAA State Championships. The quarterfinal game will be played on Saturday against Greensburg Central Catholic High School, at Norwin High School at 12 PM.