Lady Warrior Softball Takes Down Claysburg-Kimmel 7-1

Image/Graphics by Tracy Bone
The Lady Warrior Softball team took down the Claysburg Kimmel bulldogs 7-1.

The Lady Warrior Softball Team defeated the Claysburg Kimmel Bulldogs 7-1. The Lady Warriors took control in the first inning. Madison Nelson started the inning by striking the first batter out and fielded a shot hit back at the mound to get the second batter out. The last out of the inning was a pop-up to Kamryn MacTavish at second base. The Lady Warriors then continued to control the game with their offense. Meghan Cantolina started the inning by hitting a single to left field. Sarah Betts then added onto the hitting by hitting a hard-hit grounder past the second baseman into right field, moving Cantolina to second base. Kamryn MacTavish ended up with a walk, making the bases loaded. Bri Bone came up to bat and hit a sacrifice fly out to right field, which drove in Cantolina to get the first run of the game. Madison Nelson had an RBI groundout that drove in Sarah Betts, making the score 2-0. 

At the bottom of the third inning, Meghan Cantolina and Sarah Betts both got on base by hitting singles. Kamryn MacTavish drove Meghan Cantolina with a sacrifice to fly out to the center field, making the Lady Warriors score 3-0. The score remained the same until the top of the sixth inning putting Claysburg on the board. Claysburg’s leadoff batter hit a double, followed by a line drive to right field from the following batter, which drove in Claysburg’s only run of the game. The Lady Warrior defense stepped up to get out of the inning. Kamryn MacTavish turned a double play by catching a line drive to second and then throwing to first baseman Sarah Betts for the second out of the inning. Sarah Betts got the last out by fielding a grounder to first to end the inning. 

In the bottom of the sixth inning, The Lady Warriors started ramping up their offense by adding four more runs to the board. Madison Nelson started off the inning with a single to right field, with Mallory Graham also hitting a single to right field. Greysyn Gable moved to first by getting hit with the pitch to load the bases. Hannah Betts came up to bat, having a clutch hit to left-center, which drove in Nelson making the score 4-1. Alaina Royer hit a sacrifice fly out to center field, which drove in Graham. Meghan Cantolina had a single that plated Gable. Then, Sarah Betts reached first base with a line drive up the middle, moving Cantolina into scoring position. With some heads up baserunning, The Lady Warriors added another run with the Claysburg catcher’s failed attempt to throw out Sarah Betts at second, allowing Cantolina to come home, making the final score 7-1.

Meghan Cantolina and Sarah Betts led the team offensively with both of them, going 4-4 at the plate. Pitcher, Madison Nelson, had a great day on the mound by earning five strikeouts and not walking a single batter. Kamryn MacTavish led the defense with seven putouts including a double play.

The Lady Warriors are now 3-4 and they will be back in action on Thursday, April 22nd, at home against Bellwood Antis at 4:30 pm.