West Branch Cheerleaders Prepare for Competition Season

West Branch cheer works hard for future competitions
Image/Graphics by Mallorie Maines
The West Branch Warrior Cheerleading Team out by the field house.

As the winter season approaches, the Lady Warrior cheer team prepares to compete in upcoming cheer competitions, as well as prepare to cheer on winter sports athletes. Here’s what is on their plate for this winter season. 

The ladies’ first competition will be districts, where they will compete and plan to take home gold. The Warrior cheer team is definitely working hard, as they have practice every day after school in order to prepare to take all of their competition down. 

After not competing last year, the cheer team has much to prove. The cheer team will graduate three seniors this year, meaning this will be their last chance to make it to Hershey to compete in nationals with this great group of girls. 

With all of this pressure, the Warrior cheer team is hopeful to pull out a win. They have two very skilled flyers, senior Gretchen Yatchik and freshman Addy Wessel. The flyer is in charge of staying in the air, making pretty shapes, and exciting the crowd. The bases have to work together to make sure the stunt does not fall and the back has to catch the flyer, so she does not fall on the ground. All of these people work together to make a successful stunt group.

The team has choreographed some new and interesting dancing, tumbling, and stunting. One of the stunts includes an arabesque waterfall. The tumbling line will include round-off back handsprings and some other intrigue tricks and flips, with Gretchen Yatchik and Jessica Batcho doing most of the tumbling. They have a fun routine, so make sure you go out and watch our Warrior cheer team compete Saturday, December 11th at Altoona high school field house.