Female Athlete of the Week: Jenna Mertz

Jenna Mertz has been chosen as Warrior Watch’s Female Athlete of the Week for the week ending on 1.3.22.

Jenna Mertz, who has been playing basketball since the fifth grade, has said that she has come to love basketball the most out of all the sports she plays. She also plays soccer and track and field. Mertz has put up 74 points so far this season, and is determined to keep it going, and try to get 1,000 points by the end of her basketball career. Mertz is very good at defending, and currently has 20 rebounds this season. Mertz was amazing at the West Branch Holiday Tournament, as she scored 32 points and got named the Most Valuable Player. She was the only West Branch Lady Warrior to get a trophy, which is also a great accomplishment. Assistant Coach Jalee Rockey has a few nice words to say about Jenna Mertz, “Jenna is an overall utility player for our team. She provides us with points, rebounds, assist, and helps our overall team confidence. As coaches, we hold Jenna to a high standard because we know what she is capable of. She is a hardworking and reliable captain for the West Branch Team.” 

Facts about Jenna Mertz: 

Grade: 10th 

Parents: Cheryl Mertz 

Siblings: Ashley Mertz 

Future Plans: Graduate high school to then go play basketball in college and then see where life takes me from there.  

Favorite Food: Pasta 

Favorite Movie: Sing 2 

Favorite Beverage: Pepsi 

Favorite Restaurant: Panera 

Pre-Game Ritual: Emmie braiding my hair 

Age Started: 5th Grade 

Favorite Basketball Memory: My highest-scoring game against Curwenville freshman year with 26 points.