Relay Team Secures a Spot at States

Image/Graphics by Pete Alexander
The boys 4 x 800 meter relay stands on the District 6 AA Championship podium after placing 3rd and securing their spot to the state championship.

Altoona- On May 17th, the track and field team traveled to Mansion Park to participate in the District 6 AA Championship. The team had a total of six different athletes on the podium in the evening. These athletes include: Jacob Alexander, Sage Carr, Noah Ryder, John Stavola, Joel Evans, and Marley Croyle. 

The boys 4 x 800 meter relay of Alexander, Carr, Ryder, and Stavola placed 3rd out of 15 schools with a time of 8:31.68. The third place finish securded the boys a spot in the PIAA State Championship that will take place on May 27th. In the relay team, Stavola ran the first leg and had a split time of 2:07.761. Ryder then ran the second leg in 2:10.089. Alexander ran the third leg with a split time of 2:10.710. Carr finished off the relay and ran a 2:03.11. This relay team will be the first ever relay team to represent West Branch in the PIAA Track and Field State Championships. The relay team also went undefeated in the regular season at 14-0. 

The next person on the podium was Marley Croyle who placed 4th in Javelin. Croyle threw a 108 foot throw. The boys 4 x 400 meter relay of Carr, Evans, Ryder, and Stavola placed 5th. They ran a time of 3:41.03.