The End of the Backyard Brawl

The Warriors end with a loss against rival PO in the last match-up between the two teams.
Image/Graphics by Brooklyn Myers
The Warriors run onto the field for their 2022 season debut against Philipsburg-Osceola.

On Friday night the Warriors faced off against the Mounties in the first game of the season. For the past 8 years, the two teams have made this a tradition opening up the season against a backyard rival. But with Philipsburg joining a new league, last Friday’s game was the end of it. Since the rivalry restarted in 2015, West Branch has won 5 games of the 8 games against Philipsburg. Unfortunately, West Branch could not pull out a win with the final score of 49-20.  

On the first drive of the game, the Warriors started off strong and drove down the field for a touchdown making it 6-0 early in the first quarter. The Mounties answered in return and scored a touchdown off of the kickoff. 

With Philipsburg winning 28-14 nearing the end of the second quarter, Tyler Biggans brought the team the momentum they needed with an interception returned all the way to make it 28-20 going into halftime. 

To start off the third quarter, the Mounties had a couple of long time-consuming drives resulting in a touchdown. The Mounties had possession of the ball for most of the second half and the Warriors were not able to get anything going before the clock ran out with the final score 49-20.

Despite the loss, Tyler Biggans lead the Warriors with 3 touchdown runs and over 100 yards. Wyatt Schwiderske also had over 100 rushing yards. The Warriors are looking to rebound and get a win on Friday night when they play away against the Everett Warriors!