Cross Country Participates in Big Valley Invitational

Varsity Cross Country’s first meet of the season.
Image/Graphics by Tabytha Carr
Noah Ryder poses with his medal after finishing 12th overall for the boys’ race.

The West Branch Cross Country team went head to head with multiple teams at the Big Valley XC Invitational on Saturday, September 3rd. Competing in Reedsville, PA, the boys’ team ranked 4th overall, and with only three members, the girls were not qualified to place as a team.

Senior Erika Alexander and freshmen Skylah Baker and Emma Petriskey competed in the race for the girls. Erika placed 20th, while Emma placed 27th all-around. Sage Carr, Jacob Alexander, Noah Ryder, Brayden Brown, Kevin Hurley, and Payton McCloskey ran on the boys’ team, with Sage Carr and Jacob Alexander placing 16th and 17th. Kevin Hurley, Noah Ryder, and Jacob Alexander each set new personal records at the meet.

Senior Noah Ryder explained that he and his other teammates were nervous before the race started. He ran the first mile a little faster than he wanted but began to “run as he knows how.” Fatigue started to set in at the end of his 3rd mile, yet he managed to finish 12th overall and receive a medal. Noah says, “this was a great start to the season”.

The invitational was a test of endurance to show the team where they needed improvement early on. Since the girls can not score as a team, they hope to place as individual competitors. The team has high expectations for the season and has goals to place at ICCs and districts.

The Warriors aim to improve and surpass their finish times at the next meet at home against Philipsburg-Osceola on Wednesday, September 7th.