Girls Basketball Season Preview 2022

The Lady Warriors return ten players for the upcoming season.
Image/Graphics by Syed Karimushan
The Lady Warriors stand for the national anthem before their game against Philipsburg-Osceola.

With basketball season right around the corner, the Lady Warrior Basketball team has ten returning players. The team finished the previous season with a record of 12-10. The official mandatory practices will begin Friday, November 18th.

Last season the Lady Warriors fell to Purchase Line in the first round of district playoffs. Head coach, Justin Koleno, says, “It was great for that young team to get a game of playoff experience last year. It isn’t too often that you get to reload and go another season with everyone coming back.” At the beginning of last year’s season, Koleno had to quarantine for COVID-19, which caused him to miss the first few games of the season.

Optional practices have begun, and the team has had its biggest turnout in years. Eleven girls attended the first open gym, more than the team has had on its roster in a long time. Coach Koleno stated, “Part of every preseason is building chemistry with the new lineup. This year, while we do have some new pieces, we are returning everyone, so we will look to build off the foundation we created last year.”

This year the Lady Warriors have three seniors: Hannah Betts, Emily Parks, and Kayleigh Smeal. Last season Emily Parks was injured early on. Regarding the upcoming season, Parks says she is most excited about “being able to play again and seeing Mariah and Kiah.” In addition to the ten returners, several new freshmen will also be on the roster; however, the number of newcomers is currently unknown.

The front half of the Lady Warriors’ season will have the most competitive games. They will consecutively face Juniata Valley, Williamsburg, Glendale, and Bellwood-Antis. December 28th and 29th, the Warriors will host the WB Holiday Tournament; on the 28th, the Warriors will face Bucktail, and the opponent on the 29th is TBD.

The Lady Warriors will start their season against Northern Cambria on Wednesday, December 7th. Make sure to wish the girls good luck as they get back into action.