Boys’ Basketball Gets the Win Against Juniata Valley

The West Branch Boys’ Basketball team beats Juniata Valley 82-57.
Image/Graphics by Alisa Liptak
The Warriors gather together for a picture at Meet the Warriors.

The boys’ basketball team has started strong this season, with their record being 3-1. They continued to be successful as they defeated Juniata Valley at home on Friday, December 16th. The Warriors dominated the whole game and had the lead every quarter. Four players scored in double figures, and one recorded a double-double.

In the first quarter, they started powerfully, scoring 21 points and only allowing Juniata Valley to score 12. In the second quarter, West Branch fought hard to keep the lead as Juniata Valley came out big and scored 21 points, while West Branch only recorded 14 points. Ending the half, West Branch was up 35-26.

West Branch maintained its dominance in the third quarter and outscored Juniata Valley from 23 to 9. At this point, West Branch was leading 58 to 35. Lastly, in the fourth quarter, they outscored their opponent 22-15 and won 82-57. In the fourth quarter, some junior varsity players got playing time due to the varsity having a comfortable lead. The Warrior’s record is four and one, and they hope to continue to have a successful season.

Sophomore Lukas Colton led the team with 22 points and four rebounds. Senior Kyle Kolesar added 14 rebounds. Sophomore Joel Evans recorded a double-double, meaning he had 14 points and 11 rebounds, both in double digits. Lastly, sophomore Owen Koleno scored 18 points, while junior Zach McGonigal scored 19.

Senior, Kyle Kolesar, says, “It went good. We played well as a team and made the extra pass when necessary.”

The boy’s basketball team has three big games this week before Christmas break. Their first game will be on Monday, December 19th, in Williamsburg, and their second will be on Wednesday, December 21st, in Clearfield. The Warriors will end the week by playing against Glendale at home on Thursday, December 22nd. Make sure to come and support the boy’s basketball team.