Lady Warriors Ride the Tide to Victory

The Lady Warriors take home a 46-21 win against the Lady Tide.
Image/Graphics by Rich Murawski; The Progress
Jenna Mertz looks at the backboard as she goes for a layup at Curwensville.

West Branch Girls’ Basketball dominated the Curwensville Lady Tide on Monday, January 9th, with a final score of 46-21. The Lady Warriors relied heavily on their defense by creating 15 steals and causing 31 total turnovers. Despite a cold shooting night, the Lady Warriors still managed to rack up 46 points. Jenna Mertz led the team with 15 points. She also had four rebounds, three assists, and three steals. Only two three-pointers went in during the game, with Mertz and Ally Shingledecker having one each.

The Lady Warriors kicked off the game with an 8-0 lead. All five starters scored in the first quarter, beginning the second quarter with a 16-4 lead. Bella Koleno netted her first varsity career points in the first and second quarters, ending with six on the night. The Lady Warriors went on a 12-0 run during the second quarter. Going into the half, the Warriors led 31-11. Coach Koleno said, “we were pleased with how we ran the offensive play sets.” At one point in the second quarter, there was only one unassisted basket for West Branch. When everyone on the court is dangerous, our team is much more difficult to game-plan against.” West Branch had ten assists as a team in the first half and added three more in the second to end with 13 for the night.

The Lady Warriors scored the first 11 points of the third quarter. The running clock was set into motion in the third when the score reached 42-11. The fourth quarter was fast-paced, with Curwensville outsourcing West Branch 4-2. Katrina Cowder led both teams with ten rebounds and scored eight points. Emily Parks and Erin Godin both had four steals.

The Lady Warriors’ new record is 7-3 after the win on Monday night. They will travel to Glendale on Wednesday, January 11th, and host Moshannon Valley at home on Friday, January 13th. The junior varsity game will start at 6:00 p.m., and the varsity game follows at 7:30 p.m.