Movie Review: Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania

A review for Marvel’s Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, released in theaters on February 17, 2023, and released to Disney+ on May 17, 2023.
Image/Graphics by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures
The official film poster for Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania.

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania has a 6.2/10 on IMDb, a 47% score on Rotten Tomatoes, a 48% from Metacritic, and a 78% from Google reviewers. In Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania, Super Heroes Scott Lang and Hope Van Dyne return to continue their adventures as Ant-Man and The Wasp. The duo has suits that allow them to shrink to near-microscopic sizes or become dozens of feet tall. While venturing into the Quantum Realm, a bizarre universe existing beyond the bounds of space and time, they come across peculiar creatures and embark on an extraordinary adventure that pushes them to surpass their perceived limits.

The film introduces many new characters, such as the villains Kang the Conquerer and M.O.D.O.K, while also featuring the original characters. I recommend watching at least the two previous Ant-man movies, 2015’s Ant-Man, and 2018’s Ant-Man and the Wasp, to understand the characters and events happening in the film. The film is easier to follow if you know the characters from the previous films.

I think Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania is a fine film, although it is a shaky start for phase five of the MCU. The visual effects, particularly the green screen usage, seem to have shortcomings, reminiscent of certain scenes in Black Panther: Wakanda Forever. The green screen’s appearance comes across as artificial and lacking authenticity. Disney should have addressed it in both of these films to improve the overall quality.

Other than CGI and visual effects, the film’s tone feels clunky. At the beginning of their journey, Ant-Man and his crew have a fitting, jokey, and humorous tone. But as the film progresses, the tone shifts towards a more serious nature with the introduction of the main antagonist, Kang the Conqueror. However, the film maintains its humorous style, creating a sense of imbalance and confusion. The contrasting tones create a challenge for viewers, as it becomes unclear whether to take the movie as a serious one or more of a comedy. This ambiguity makes it difficult to determine the intended tone of the film. 

The film’s introduction of numerous new characters can be overwhelming, causing even important characters like The Wasp to receive comparable screen time and dialogue as some side characters. Characters like Veb and Jentorra spur fans’ curiosity about their backstories. However, multiple new characters throughout the movie make concentrating on any one character difficult.

To conclude, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania is an alright film. Disney’s sloppy green screen and visual effects have found their way into another Marvel film. The film’s tone fluctuates between grave and threatening and lighthearted and silly, making it difficult for viewers to take it seriously. Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania receives a shaky start for Phase Five of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, unlike Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, which I rated a 6.7 out of 10. According to Marvel producer Stephen Broussard, there might be a fourth Ant-Man movie, as he mentioned, “We’re already thinking about it.” This implies that fans can look forward to a potential future installment.  With this possible opportunity, it is hoped that they will take the lessons from Quantumania and deliver an even more impressive film in the future.