PO High School Starts A New Year With Controversial Cell Phone Rule

The students at PO struggle to understand the purpose of the new cell phone rule.
The Philipsburg Osceola High School building where the new cell phone rule was put into place.
Image/Graphics by Philipsburg Osceola School District

This is an ongoing event happening at the PO High School and is not a current issue here at West Branch Area High School but if we are not careful it could be a potential issue soon. The whole reason PO High School had to push the no cell phone rule was to protect the students and the staff in the school because there were various situations where the students were taking pictures in inappropriate places or they were taking photos in the hallways and the classrooms of the other students and the staff without their permission. The students were then using those images and videos to post them on social media platforms.

A major aspect of the issue centers around the perception that phones are causing distractions. Many students were using their phones during class, diverting their attention away from the lessons being presented by their instructors. Certain PO students have very strong feelings about the new cell phone rule change. Aubree, a PO student said, “I think the rule is really dumb and I think we should have the right to have our phones.” Zoe, a PO student said, “I do not like the school’s new rule, and I’m mad about it.” The rule was put into place because of some of the events I mentioned earlier that had taken place at their school. Many of the students are upset about the rule. Some students at the school aren’t too keen on following the new rules, and there’s a chance it could spark a protest involving parents and school staff. Quite a few parents are upset about these new rules, especially when they can’t longer reach their kids during the school day.

I do not think the school should have the right to limit or even eliminate the usage of phones in school because even though some people don’t even follow the proper rules with their phones, I do not think they should be allowed to punish all students for it. They should only punish and limit phones to the students violating the current cell phone policy rather than eliminate cell phone usage in school altogether.