Warriors Win First Two District Playoff Games

Warrior volleyball advances to the district championship back-to-back years.
+The+Lady+Warrior+Volleyball+team+picture+taken+before+the+beginning+of+the+season.+
Image/Graphics by Manning Photography
The Lady Warrior Volleyball team picture taken before the beginning of the season.

This week the Warrior volleyball team played in the district quarterfinals against Purchase Line on Monday, October 30th. Before the game started the team had a moment to recognize Sophomore Kyla Kephart for reaching a milestone of 500 assists. The Warriors dominated the Red Dragons, sweeping them in three sets winning the first set 25 to 12, the second set 25 to 12, and the third set 25 to 14. Katrina Cowder finished the match with eleven kills and two blocks and Kyla Kephart finished with an impressive twenty service points, leading all players from either team. Then on Wednesday, November 1st, the Lady Warriors competed in the semifinals against Portage. Once again they dominated the Mustangs sweeping them in three sets. They won the first set with a score of 25 to 13 and the second set with a score of 25 to 16. After a shaky third set being down 17 to 10, the Warriors battled back after multiple service errors from the Lady Mustangs. The Warriors went point for point with the Lady Mustangs until Kyla Kephart had a two-point service run at the end of the game to beat Portage and win the third set with a score of 25 to 23. Senior Marley Croyle led the team having an outstanding twelve kills on the night and sophomores Bella Koleno and Kyla Kephart combined for a dominating twenty-six service points on the night. After being asked how he feels about making it to the district championship, head coach Terry Trude said, “I am excited for our team to have an opportunity to play in the D6 championship game tomorrow. Our team has competed at a high level this season and have played a rugged schedule to prepare us for this moment. We are hoping that our training has prepared us to win a D6 championship and advance in the upcoming state tourney, as well.” The girls play on Saturday November 4th for the D6 championship at the Altoona Fieldhouse at 12 p.m. against Homer Center. This is the second year in a row that they have made it to the championship.