Filed under Opinion

Procrastination: An Epidemic

"An Epidemic" Series

Carrie+Fuller+is+on+Instagram+instead+of+studying+her+lines+for+the+lead+in+the+upcoming+musical.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Procrastination: An Epidemic

Carrie Fuller is on Instagram instead of studying her lines for the lead in the upcoming musical.

Photo by Noah Fry

Photo by Noah Fry

Photo by Noah Fry

Most students in high school are guilty of procrastination. In fact, most people are.  The definition of procrastination is the action of delaying or postponing something. Specifically, procrastinators purposely search for distractions instead of facing a difficult task.

But why do we procrastinate? Most of the time, people just believe that they are lazy, unorganized, or just don’t care enough. One reason why we procrastinate is the fear of failure. Many people fear that they will put effort into a certain project, but eventually end up failing. In return, they just decide to put off the project. Some people fear the opposite, success. They fear if they complete the project, people will raise their expectations of them. In return, they just decide to put off the project. Some people fear imperfections. They fear that they cannot complete the project perfectly. In return, they just decide to put off the project.

Pullquote Photo

Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.”

— Charles Dickens, David Copperfield

Some of these reasons fall under the three types of procrastinators. One type is the thrill-seeker, who waits until the last minute to get some sort of “rush” that will help him to exceed expectations. Another type, called avoiders, are the ones who fear failure/success. They are concerned about what others think of them. The third type is called decisional procrastinators. These people cannot decide when or how to approach the project.

Procrastination can cause symptoms including insomnia, immune system disturbances, gastrointestinal disturbances, and interrupted personal relationship/teamwork status in the workplace.

There is no way to completely eliminate procrastination, but there are ways to avoid it. Consider doing hard tasks before easy tasks. Make a list of tasks and due dates of when they need to be completed. However, the most effective way to avoid procrastination is to eliminate distractions. When we want to be distracted, we will be. Instead, try to isolate yourself. By following these tips, you will be more likely to avoid procrastination.

Sources:

About the Writer
Noah Fry, Staff Writer

Hi! I am Noah Fry. I am currently a freshman at West Branch High School. I am involved in various activities, including band, drama, student government,...

• Procrastination: An Epidemic

Opinion

The Spread of Information

• Procrastination: An Epidemic

Opinion

Senioritis: Is It Real?

• Procrastination: An Epidemic

Features

Depression: An Epidemic

• Procrastination: An Epidemic

Features

Stress: an Epidemic

• Procrastination: An Epidemic

Features

Caffeine Dependence: An Epidemic

• Procrastination: An Epidemic

Features

Sleepy Teens: An Epidemic

• Procrastination: An Epidemic

Features

5 Extensions You Need to Survive High School

• Procrastination: An Epidemic

Features

October Apple Event Brings Big Announcements

• Procrastination: An Epidemic

Opinion

10 Reasons Why Accelerated Reader Should Not Be Required (editorial)

• Procrastination: An Epidemic

Opinion

Buzz About the New iPhones