A White Christmas… Maybe?

Image/Graphics by Photo credits: Black Moshannon State Park – Environmental Education Specialist, Michelle
A light snow falls over Black Moshannon State Park.

Will central Pennsylvania get a white Christmas? As we near the middle of December, we have yet to see a snowstorm, until now. Paweatheraction.com has predicted a “historic snowstorm” to hit Wednesday around 3 PM in central Pennsylvania, with a range of 1 to 20 inches or more snowfall Wednesday night. 

This snowstorm is very significant because the state of Pennsylvania usually gets snow after Christmas in January, February, and sometimes even March. In fact, the last time Central Pa had an inch of snowfall on Christmas was in 1985. Because of this, the upcoming snowstorm will be one for the books if it follows meteorologists’ predictions! 

The following areas are estimated to receive the following amounts of snowfall:

• Gettysburg, York, Lancaster, Harrisburg, and Reading are to receive 15 – 20”+ 
  • Wilkes-barre, Bedford, Lewistown, and Mt Union 10 – 15” 
  • Lockhaven, Altoona, Somerset, Johnstown, State College, and Williamsport 6 – 10”
  • Dubois, Clearfield, Punxsutawney, and Indiana 3 – 6”
  • Uniontown, Bradford, St. marys, Clarion, and Pittsburg 1 – 3”

As meteorologists continue to update their predictions make sure you stay up to date and stay safe!