Movie Review: I’m Thinking of Ending Things

Image/Graphics by Illustration by June Le, Minneapolis College of Art and Design
Lucy and Jake driving through the “treacherous” winter storm

The movie begins as Lucy, played by Jessie Buckley, travels with her new boyfriend Jake, played by Jesse Plemons, during a winter storm to his parent’s house for dinner to meet them for the first time. Jake’s mother was played by Toni Collette, and his father was played by David Thewlis. “I’m Thinking of Ending Things” was directed by Charlie Kaufman, and produced by Stephanie Azqiazu, Anthony Bregman, and Robert Salerno. 

“I’m Thinking of Ending Things” is very strange and will keep you very confused. Lucy’s name was changed several times over the movie, along with what she does for a living and how she and Jake had met which adds to the confusion of the movie. It is very strange and mind-boggling. By the end of the movie, I was left very confused and was not sure what had just happened. There is constant rambling and no specific plot to the movie. Not to mention it is all over the place and none of the conversations seem to have any true meaning or point to them. 

The lighting in the movie is very dark and keeps a certain type of creepiness throughout the film and at times might even leave you with chills. The color and lighting adds to the very abnormal plot of this film. With the dark lighting and the snowstorm, “I’m Thinking of Ending Things” is very gloomy and dark.

“I’m thinking of ending things” definitely requires a lot of thinking, and even then you might not understand what is happening. Personally, I was not a fan of the movie and wouldn’t recommend it; it is very odd and random at times. I would give it a 3/10. Although if you like suspenseful movies you might be interested in watching this.