Best Beauty Brands of 2022 (So Far)

Image/Graphics by Ilia
Shown is some of Ilia’s products, such as their lipstick and their foundation.

Since 2016 the beauty industry has been on the rise, and it has shown no sign of slowing down. Celebrities, influencers, and your regular makeup-obsessed friends have joined in on the popularity of the beauty industry, and have started creating their own cosmetic brands: some on independent sites like Etsy, selling one or two products, or big collections selling out instantly. Today, I’m going to rank the top 2022 beauty brands so far…

#3: Tower 28 Beauty

In 2019, Amy Lui started her beauty brand in San Monica California with the goal to make makeup and skincare products designed for sensitive skin mind. Their motto is #Itsokaytobesensitive. Not only is this brand sensitive and skin-friendly, but they’re also one of my clean beauty brands on this list. This basically means the brand’s products are free of sulfates, parabens, formaldehyde, phthalates, and mineral oil. Some of my favorite products for this brand are their shine-on lip jelly in six glossy shades, and the Bronzino illuminating cream bronzers.

Pros:

• Vegan and cruelty-free
  • Dewy minimal makeup

Cons:

• Not super affordable
  • Not that easily accessible; the only place you can buy it is Sephora and their website

Lip Gloss
Bronzor

#2: Rare Beauty

Readers may not know the brand name, but anyone will know the founder: Selena Gomez. On September 3rd, 2020 Selena released her beauty brand, Rare, with the goal to make makeup that makes you feel beautiful but does not cover up what makes you rare… get it? Rare Beauty. Funny. Another note about the brand is that on their website, there is a whole page dedicated to mental health help and education. It features columns like “Ways to Open Up With Family and Friends About Your Mental Health” and resources offering support that anyone can visit. Some of my favorite products from Rare are their Warm Wishes effortless bronzer stick and their soft pinch liquid blush.

Pros:

• Vegan and cruelty-free
  • Rare beauty donates 1% of all sales to the rare impact fun: more info here

Cons

• Slightly expensive; their blush is 20 dollars
  • Not easily accessible; only on their website and Sephora

Bronzor
Blush

#1: Ilia

In recent years Ilia has gained global success as a beauty brand known for its clean ingredients and minimalist product design. The founder, Sasha Plavsic, has proven that you don’t have to choose between functionality and sustainability. A quote from their website includes, “Protect and revive not only your skin, but the planet.” They even have one percent of their super serum skin tint (SPF 40), with sales going to environmental causes. Their main goal at the moment is reforestation; they hope to plant one million trees by the end of 2023. A few of their bestselling products are True skin serum foundation and their limitless lash mascara.

Pros:

• Cruelty-free and most products are vegan
  • Information on ILIA’S mission (https://iliabeauty.com/pages/1-percent-for-the-planet )

Cons:

• Expensive

Salina SF5
After Midnight