Lady Warriors Win First Round of State Playoffs

The Lady Warrior Volleyball team defeats Shade in the first round of states.
Image/Graphics by Matthew Eirich
The Lady Warrior volleyball team huddles together after the win over Shade.

After a win on Tuesday, November 8th, the Lady Warrior volleyball team advances to the Elite Eight. The Warriors defeated Shade High School in three sets to get the win. This season is the first time the volleyball team has made it past the first round of state playoffs since 2010.

The Warriors started strong in the first set. Shade had multiple service errors that allowed the Warriors to gain momentum throughout the game. As Shade was missing serves, the Warriors tried to establish a hard serve to get them out of the system. With an ace from Brooklyn Myers, the Warriors took the first set 25-15.

The Warriors carried the energy to the second set with an 8-3 lead. Matayha Kerin contributed with a five-point service run. Marley Croyle had six kills, one of which came from the second set. Katrina Cowder had two from the second set that added to her total for the night of nine.

In the third set, the Warriors did not let up. Knowing that Shade would play as hard as they could, the Warriors raised their level even higher. Makiya Mack played strong at the net. Marley Croyle’s eight-point serving run helped the Warriors get the upper hand to take the game. The third set had a final score of 25-17.

The Lady Warrior’s setter, Brooklyn Myers, had 24 assists on Tuesday night. She says, “I think we served tough, passed well, and our hitters had good tempo. Our energy on the court and our crowd also helped us a lot.”

The Lady Warriors face off against Mt. Calvary Christian at Greencastle Atrim High School on Saturday, November 12th. The game begins at noon, so those riding the fan bus must be at West Branch by 8:15 a.m. Purchase tickets online here. Come out and cheer on your lady Warriors as they make a bid for the final four, and wear all the white you can find.