SkillsUSA Students Triumph in State Competition

Five West Branch students compete at SkillsUSA contest and several advance to the National Competition.

Image/Graphics by Kaylee Wills

The five West Branch students pictured outside of the CCCTC, excited to have won their competition and qualify for Nationals.

On March 21st, West Branch CCCTC students received awards after competing in the SkillsUSA state competition to represent their occupation in CCCTC. Several students ranked in the top three places! These students will compete in the National Competition at the end of June in Atlanta, Georgia.

Under Business Management and Technology, Raven Myers and her team placed second. Under Career Pathways, Addison Yatchik and her team placed second. Under Human Services, Shianna Hoover, Madison Mcdowell, and Shalyn King earned first place.

`Shianna, Madison, and Shalyn showcased a presentation about the spread of head lice. The group also shared the information with West Branch fourth graders, explaining how lice are preventable. Addison and her team showcased a children’s coloring book they created. The book displays the programs offered at CCCTC, and the students also presented it to Clearfield Elementary School. Raven Myers and her team presented on ‘Senior Cyber Threats.’ They showed facts and statistics of elders falling for scams, getting malware on their devices, being victims of social engineering, and more. They showcased their presentation to local nursing home residents.

The SkillsUSA competition took place in Hershey Lodge, where it lasted three days. There were thousands of students in attendance. The advisors for the CCCTC were Mrs. Susan Waite, Mrs. Susan Barger, Mrs. Jennifer Kerr, Mr. Jonathon Dale, and Mr. Jerome Mick. SkillsUSA Pennsylvania, and the state director, Dodie Amigh, managed the event. Students arrived on Wednesday, where they settled in, met other students, met their judges, and attended the opening ceremony. Thursday was competition day when students presented all day and later held a ‘Mascot Dance Off.’ West Branch student Raven Myers put on the CCCTC bigfoot costume and participated! “I think I grooved enough to be one of the top Mascots,” Says Raven Myers.

SkillsUSA is a career and technical student association serving about 400,000 high school and college students and professional members enrolled in training programs in technical, trade, and skilled service occupations. SkillsUSA began as a small group called VICA (Vocational Industrial Clubs of America) in 1965. In September 2004, VICA became SkillsUSA.

The community at West Branch and the students involved in CCCTC are excited to see the next step in this competition when the end of June arrives. Congratulations to Shianna, Madison, Shalyn, Addison, and Raven! Good luck in Atlanta, Georgia!