Lady Warriors Slide By With a Close Win Over Juniata Valley

The Lady Warrior Softball team brings home another win against Juniata Valley.
Image/Graphics by Kaitlyn McGonigal
Brooke Bainey prepares to run on second base as her teammate bats against Moshannon Valley.

On Thursday, April 27th, the Lady Warrior Softball team traveled to face Juniata Valley. The Lady Warriors fought hard against the Hornets for the 2-1 win.

The Lady Warriors had a solid defensive night, only letting one run in during the bottom of the third inning. However, the girls quickly got it back together in the top of the fourth inning. Junior third baseman Brooke Bainey had a two-run single, bringing in Mallory Graham and Kamryn MacTavish to take the lead. Makena Moore finished on the mound by striking out 12 batters and allowing one run on four hits.

Brooke Bainey has been a superstar on the field, scoring two home runs for the Lady Warriors this season. Makena Moore has been dominating the mound as she has struck out 110 batters so far this season, and she is only a sophomore. The team can expect many more great plays by these two as the Lady Warriors move forward with their season.

Senior Kamryn MacTavish said, “We played a really good game defensively. Our offense wasn’t as dominant as usual, but our defense definitely made up for it. Everyone on the field was making plays and putting in 100%. I’m glad we were able to pull out the win.” Senior Hannah Betts added, “It was a really close game; we were all kinda struggling at the plate, but we came up big with our defense to hold them to 1 run, and were able to score two to win the game.”

The Lady Warriors are a little over halfway through their season now, with a record of 12-3 overall and 9-2 in the Inter-County Conference. The Lady Warriors will travel to Williamsburg on Thursday, May 5th, to face the Lady Pirates at 4:30 p.m. and hopefully get another win in the books. Be sure to wish the ladies luck as they enter the final stretch of their regular season.