West Branch Baseball Defeats Marion Center

West Branch Baseball defeats Marion Center in the first round of district playoffs
Image/Graphics by Brooklyn Myers
Sophomore Lukas Colton up to bat against the Bellwood-Antis Blue Devils.

On Friday, May 19th, the West Branch Boys Baseball team earned an exciting win! The team traveled to Marion Center, securing their first postseason win since 2005 with a score of 4-2. Standout performances came from Matt Eirich, Coby Kephart, and Lukas Colton, each contributing two hits to the team’s success. Notably, Lukas Colton’s powerful hit resulted in a home run, driving in three runs for the Warriors.  Logan Folmar, Brody Rothrock, Isaac Tiracorda, and Tyler Wilson all had one hit each. Junior pitcher Luke Liptak showcased his skills, throwing 109 pitches, allowing seven hits, walking three, and striking out six. Defensively, Zach McGonigal made crucial plays to halt Marion Center’s scoring opportunities. The Warriors currently boast an impressive eight-game winning streak and hold a record of 15-4.

Junior Brody Rothrock says, “It was a great way to get revenge. They beat us first round last year, but we made sure it didn’t happen again. Luke pitched really well, and everyone was hitting the ball. So all around, everyone contributed to the team. It’s also the first time we have won a playoff game in 18 years, which was an awesome feeling.”

The Warriors are gearing up for their next match on Saturday, May 27th, as they prepare to face the Trojans of Mount Union in the second round of district playoffs. Good Luck, Warriors!  Everyone from Warrior Watch is proud of you!