Summer Softball Overview

West Branch Students Shine in Summer Softball
Image/Graphics by Mandi Grimminger Billiote
Brooke Bainey, Mallory Graham, and Kayleigh Woodring pose with their PA Lunachiks team after receiving the Playback Championship trophy.

Over the summer, many softball players attending West Branch excelled during their travel team seasons. Senior starters Brooke Bainey and Mallory Graham played on their travel ball team called the PA Lunachicks. The team also included returning letter winner Kayleigh Woodring, a junior at West Branch. The starting pitcher and catcher duo for West Branch, senior Greysyn Gable and junior Makena Moore, also spent their summers competing in tournaments. Gable played for the Central PA Sharks and Moore played for the Prospects. Underclassmen Brielle Bainey and Cheyanne Bush also took on some competition this summer, Bainey with her Sabotage team and Bush with her Hurricanes team.

The PA Lunachiks had West Branch third baseman Brooke Bainey, center fielder Mallory Graham, and outfielder/first baseman Kayleigh Woodring. The Lunachicks consisted of girls from West Branch, Clearfield, Curwensville, Punxsutawney, Dubois, and St. Marys. The team participated in 6 tournaments over the summer. A memorable tournament for the three WB players was the Hagerstown Maryland tournament, where the team battled back for the “Playback Championship” and won. The Lunachicks attended the USSSA Eastern National Championships tournament in Ocean City, Maryland, where they placed 12th out of 42 teams.

The Central Pa Sharks had WB catcher Greysyn Gable. Gable caught and played left field for her team this summer. A memorable tournament for Gable was the USSSA Western PA Ring-Fest located in Indiana, Pennsylvania, where her team had taken 1st. Greysyn said, “This tournament was an experience because I racked up two outside-of-the-park home runs on the second day.” The Sharks placed 1st in 3 out of 5 of their tournaments this past summer. On the other end, the Prospects had WB pitcher Makena Moore. Moore pitched, played first, and also played in the outfield. Moore’s Prospect team participated in 5 tournaments this past summer. A memorable tournament for Makena was the Colorado Sparkling tournament where her team placed 2nd. Moore also played pick-up for other teams this summer, which ended up filling her whole summer. She played softball each and every weekend for a total of 12 tournaments. 

The Sabotage team had underclassman Brielle Bainey. Bainey took on many positions for her team over the summer. She pitched, played short and second, and also played in the outfield. Bainey pitched all regular season for the West Branch Junior High team. Another underclassman, Cheyanne Bush, was involved with the Hurricanes this summer. Cheyanne played centerfield all summer long. Bush also played centerfield for the Junior High team, as that’s her sweet spot. Both underclassmen look to move up to play for the varsity team this upcoming spring for school ball. 

After seeing all the girls succeed this summer, it’s safe to say that this upcoming season for the Lady Warrior Softball team should be a successful one.