Band and Choir Festivals Are Underway

The 2022 County and District Music festivals begin.

Image/Graphics by Daniel Stilson

The participants of Clearfield County Choir. Top row (left to right): Aubrey Kennedy, Joelle Fletcher, Sadie Carter. Bottom row (left to right): Dorothy Bailor, Matt Eirich, Braeden Salter, Kelcey English.

Several students were selected from West Branch to participate in County Band 2022. County Band is where the best students from all the schools in Clearfield County are placed in an ensemble together.

The County Band student musicians will go to Glendale High School for two days to learn the music their guest conductor selected. Students in 7th-9th grade will be in the Junior High Band led by Mr. Bryan Stacey of Glendale. The students in 10th-12th grade will be a part of the Senior High Band. Their conductor is Mr. Jordan Canner, the band director of Huntingdon Area High School.

West Branch is a part of District 4 in PMEA (Pennsylvania Music Educators Association). A few notable schools in the district include McConnellsburg, Glendale, Clearfield, Bald Eagle, Harmony, and State College Area. The guest conductor for the band is Dr. Jason Worzbyt of IUP. There will be three days for the band to rehearse together at Juniata Valley before the concert on February 11th. The arrangement of the festival is quite similar from choir to band. The director of the district choir festival is Mr. Christopher Kiver of Penn State University. Like the band, they will go to State College High School for three days to organize a concert. Their concert will be on January 14th.

The County Choir Festival occurred on October 8th. Dr. Voorhees, the festival conductor, had the choir as a whole for two days to work on their music folder. The conductor from Susquehanna University was pleased with their productivity during the weekend.

Students selected for County Band:

Hannah Ishler – Clarinet, Freshman

Jonah Porter – Trumpet, Freshman

Keagan Dobo – Trombone, Freshman

Kayleigh Smeal – Flute, Senior

Aubrey Kennedy – Flute, Senior

Bailey Wooster – Flute, Sophomore

Madison Gray – Bass Clarinet, Sophomore

Haylie Amos – Alto Saxophone, Sophomore

Kelcey English – Tenor Saxophone, Sophomore

Lily Jones – Trumpet, Junior

Hayden Martin – Trumpet, Sophomore

Xavier Myers- Tuba, Sophomore

Matt Eirich – Percussion, Junior

Students attending District Band:

Bailey Wooster – Flute, Sophomore 

Haylie Amos – Saxophone, Sophomore

Xavier Myers – Tuba, Sophomore

Matt Eirich – Percussion, Junior 

District Choir selectees:

Aubrey Kennedy – Soprano, Senior

Joelle Fletcher – Soprano, Senior

Braeden Salter – Tenor, Junior

Matt Eirich – Bass, Junior

Xavier Myers – Bass, Sophomore

County Choir participants:

Aubrey Kennedy – Soprano, Senior

Joelle Fletcher – Soprano – Senior

Sadie Carter – Soprano, Senior

Dorothy Bailor – Alto, Junior

Kelcey English – Alto, Sophomore

Matt Eirich – Tenor, Junior

Braeden Salter – Tenor, Junior