Series Review: The Mandalorian Season 3

A non-spoiler review for the new season of Star Wars: The Mandalorian on Disney+.
Image/Graphics by Disney+
The official poster for the Disney+ original series, Star Wars: The Mandalorian.

The hit Disney+ series, The Mandalorian, has released five new episodes in a long-awaited third season, with a new episode released every Wednesday. The show has an overall rating of 8.7/10 on IMDb, a 90% Rotten Tomatoes score, and a 95% from Google reviewers. If you have not seen the first and second seasons, I highly recommend watching the entire series to understand the characters that reappear in season three.

Disney+ briefly describes what to expect in The Mandalorian, season three: “After the fall of the Empire, a lone Mandalorian makes his way through the lawless galaxy with his foundling, Grogu.” Din Djarin must protect his young alien companion, Grogu, from dangerous and powerful enemies throughout the galaxy. An Empire leader wants Grogu for his special force capabilities, and the Mandalorian must get Grogu to someone who can teach him the ways of the force. The Mandalorian must also conquer other things, like helping his friends on the planet Nevarro and trying to bring back the lost culture of the Mandalorians. 

The Mandalorian leans heavily on action and battles rather than story development. Some people may want a detailed storyline, while others only care about thrilling combats and action scenes. I prefer more action-based shows than plot and story-driven ones, like Star Wars: Andor. Something with the original The Mandalorian episodes was that they had a familiar and basic pattern, which could feel repetitive for some viewers.

One notable critique of The Mandalorian season three is that specific CGI effects were poor. Subpar CGI seems to be a recurring issue with Disney’s recent projects, as viewers took notice when Black Panther: Wakanda Forever was released. There must be a better way to represent the 108.87 billion dollar company. This issue is the one thing that is imperfect about the show, though not all the CGI used is below average in the series. Since the show’s forte is action and battle scenes, and it is in the Star Wars universe, CGI and special effects are prominent factors in making a superb action scene. 

However, other aspects of the series are on par, like the costume design and camera work. The Mandalorian armor seems well-designed, and the camera angles and shots are often creative and stunning. With the current four episodes released, I give The Mandalorian’s third season an overall rating of 8.8/10.

Resource: https://www.disneyplus.com/series/the-mandalorian/3jLIGMDYINqD