Warriors Ride Winning Streak Into New Year, Down Black Knights

Image/Graphics by Photo courtesy of Jaclyn Yingling
Sophomore Trenton Bellomy scored 18 points against the Black Knights

West Branch went into the Christmas break having won their last four games, putting them at 4-2. The Warriors showed no signs of missing a beat as they breezed by rival Moshannon Valley in their first game back, 73-45. The Warriors came out of the gates hot, as David Guerra hit a three within the first four seconds of the game. Guerra led the Warriors with 20 points.

Early on, West Branch created their lead by scoring in the paint and scoring off of Mo-Valley turnovers. Matt Fluck scored 10 points on the night, with eight in the first quarter. Fluck was a presence all night in the paint for the Warriors, both offensively and defensively. West Branch used a full court press to create 28 Mo-Valley turnovers on the night, which led to an abundance of transition buckets.

West Branch really separated themselves from Moshannon Valley in the bench department. The Warriors bench contributed all night long in many aspects. Trenton Bellomy scored 18 points off the bench, with 9 of those coming from beyond the ark.

“It really boosted my confidence,” Bellomy said. “I proved to myself, as well as my teammates, that I’m capable of helping them get a win whenever my name is called. It felt awesome, there aren’t too many things that give you a better feeling than knocking down a shot and having everyone cheer for you.”

West Branch looks to keep the momentum rolling, as they play three ICC teams on the road this week. The Warriors travel to Mount Union Monday night, Juniata Valley Thursday night, and Harmony Friday night.