Lady Warrior Soccer: Season Recap

Image/Graphics by Jane Prestash
Seniors Sarah Betts and Trinity Prestash smile for a photo on senior night.

The Lady Warriors Soccer team set many records this soccer season that everyone in the community will remember. The Lady Warriors were handed obstacles all throughout the season from the beginning to the end. At the beginning of the season, the team struggled with COVID-19 guidelines and had their season on hold. Everyone worried that there would be no season at all. When the season started, spirits were still down among the team. The coaches recognized this and stepped up. Coach Fenush and Coach Lutz told the team to go home and watch a video captioned “Be Better.” The team’s motto ended up being “Be Better” this season. 

From this moment on, the girls’ spirits were lifted and things started to go their way. The Lady Warriors started their season defeating five opponents consecutively until they took a hard loss against Tyrone, a AAA team. Losing encouraged them to “Be Better” and use that as motivation. The Lady Warriors won ten games in a row until the ICC Championship game against Fannett-Metal. The ICC game did not end in favor of the Lady Warriors, as it resulted in a quadruple overtime that ended in sudden death. 

Their next game was the PIAA D6 semi-final playoff game against Penns Valley. The Lady warriors won with a shutout of 2-0. A few days later, the team received devastating news. Two of the players, Sarah and Hannah Betts, lost their mother, Sue Betts to cancer. The whole team suffered alongside Sarah and Hannah as they were all close with Sue. She was one of the team’s biggest role models and one of their biggest supporters. A few days later the Lady Warriors had their PIAA D6 Championship game against Bishop Guilfoyle. This game meant more than winning the D6 title to the girls. They wanted to win it for the Betts family. The girls played from their hearts and ended up winning 2-1. This was the Lady Warriors second year in a row holding the D6 title. 

After winning District 6, the team only needed one more win to bypass the school record. The Lady Warriors took on Fannett-Metal, a team that previously beat the Warriors in the ICC Championship game, for round one in states. However, that didn’t stop the team from being motivated. The Lady Warriors ended up winning in overtime 2-1, which led them to the quarterfinals. This was further than any other girls soccer team from WB has ever made it. 

The Quarter Finals game against Greensburg Central Catholic did not go in favor of the Lady Warriors. They lost 7-1, which ended their season. The Lady Warriors were ecstatic because of how much they accomplished this season, but sad that it was over. They ended the season with an overall record of 18-3 and an ICC record of 6-1. This team will always be remembered in the soccer and Warrior community. 

Senior Spotlight: 

Captains, Trinity Prestash and Sarah Betts led the team the past two years to two D6 Titles. They both broke records this season. Trinity plays striker and this season, she broke two records. She now holds the records for most goals scored in a single season, holding it at 46. She also broke the record for career goals, holding it at 115. Sarah plays goalkeeper. She, as well, broke two records this season. She broke the record for most shutouts in a season and is holding it at 11. Sarah also broke the record for career shutouts and holds it at 35. Both Trinity and Sarah were great leaders and role models to the Lady Warriors soccer team and will always be remembered for their hard work by their teammates and coaches.