Lady Warrior Soccer Topples Cambria Heights

Straka puts the Lady Warriors on the board, forty-five seconds in.
Image/Graphics by Crystal Parks
Olivia Stavola and Lauren Timblin go in for a high-five after a goal.

On Tuesday, September 21, the Lady Warriors continued their victory streak. They faced Cambria Heights, a AA team. The Lady Warriors wasted no time and showed that they were ready to dominate the field once again. Smart play and teamwork led the Warriors to yet another victory, which moved them to a record of 4-0-1.

As soon as the whistle blew Tuesday afternoon, the Lady Warriors were on the ball. They immediately pressured, with Emily Parks and Olivia Straka securing shots on goal within seconds of kickoff, but neither shot fell just yet. Parks nailed a shot into the crossbar, inches above the net. The rebound fell to the feet of Paige Washic, which she laid off to Straka for the finish. Straka scored within the first forty-five seconds of the game, the quickest goal this season. The Lady Warriors regained possession immediately after Cambria Heights restarted play. There was back-and-forth play for a few minutes, with neither team being able to settle and control the ball. This ended when Straka received a through ball from Parks, sending her straight to the net to claim the second goal of the game. Lauren Timblin netted a goal roughly two minutes after Straka, putting the Lady Warriors up 3-0. At 12:47, Jenna Mertz added to the streak of goals, with a pass in from a corner kick. The Lady Warriors continued to keep Cambria Heights out of their territory, yet a defensive breakdown led to a goal by Cambria Heights player Carly Lamb at 32:20. Emma Bucha finished off the half with her second career goal at 39:08, taking advantage of a ball off the foot of the Cambria Heights keeper.

The Lady Warriors controlled the second half as well. The defensive half of the field did not see much action, as Cambria Heights only had three shots in the entire game. The second half was much like the first, with the Lady Warriors challenging and winning many of the balls that came to them. Mariah Hayles received the ball off a bad clear from the Cambria Heights defense. After setting herself up perfectly, Hayles sent the ball directly into the upper-ninety of the net. A minute later, Parks picked up a goal of the game off a perfect layoff from Anna Diviney. Midfielder Sarah Guglielmi followed their lead, scoring her first varsity goal with a quick pass into the right corner of the net. The play was quiet for the next twenty minutes, with neither team scoring or coming close. After receiving a through ball from Timblin, Kaylea Fenush broke the silence with a quick left-foot shot, sending it flying past the keeper. To finish off the game, Olivia Stavola scored with twenty-six seconds remaining in the half.

The Lady Warriors outshot Cambria Heights with 17, with 10 of the 17 being goals. Cambria Heights had 3 shots in the game, 2 of which were saved by West Branch. The Lady Warriors take on Curwensville on Thursday, September 23rd. Kickoff is set for 4 pm.