Lady Warriors beat the Lady Pirates in Five

Greysyn Gable scores five RBI’s for the Warriors
Image/Graphics by Cheri Cantolina
Hannah Betts stands with Coach Moore at first base after her hit.

The Warriors are almost half way through the season seeing a lot of improvement throughout the whole team. The Warriors started off their week on Monday, April 25th and traveled to play at Williamsburg against the Lady Pirates. West Branch was able to pull through to beat the Williamsburg Lady Pirates 15-3.

The Warriors were very active at the plate having 12 hits total in the game. Brooke Bainey and Greysyn Gable were standout hitters for the team. Brooke Bainey led the team in hits having four hits with four at bats, where Greysyn Gable was able to help her team score five runs off of two hits, one of them being a double. Brooke Bainey hit a triple and a double against the Lady Pirates.The highest scoring inning for the Warriors was in the third inning. West Branch ran the bases well and hit the ball well in this inning. In the first inning Meghan Cantolina had a single with an error advancing to third. Throughout the game Makenna Moore and Hannah Betts were hitting well, both of them scoring two RBI’s.

On the defensive side of the game, Kamryn Mactavish threw an outstanding game to get the Warriors victory. Kamryn Mactavish struck out seven of the Lady Pirates and only allowed three runs in the game. Alaina Royer was behind the plate to help the Warriors on defense. Alaina Royer and Greysyn Gable were able to get a Lady Pirate out in an intense throw down between third and home plate. Kayleigh Smeal kept the Warriors in the lead finishing off the game throwing a long throw to Brooke Bainey, who relayed the ball to Greysyn Gable, getting the last out of the game with a tag play at third. 

The Warriors have now advanced to a 4-5 overall record. West Branch moves on to play Mount Union home seeing them for the second time this season on Tuesday, April 26th. The Warriors previously lost to Mount Union earlier in the season, looking for a second chance to beat the Trojans. On Thursday, April 28th, West Branch moves on to play Moshannon Valley.