West Branch shocks the Trojans

Lady Warriors beat the trojans for the first time in eight years
Image/Graphics by Cheri Cantolina
Kamryn MacTavish and Greyson Gable celebrate after a good play.

West Branch continued their busy week to play Mount Union on Tuesday,  April 26th. The Warriors played the Lady Trojans on their own field. West Branch was able to pull through and beat Mount Union for the first time in eight years. After falling to the Trojans earlier in the year, the Warriors pulled through to beat Mount Union with a final score of 10-3. 

The Warriors were very powerful at the plate on Tuesday. West Branch had 15 hits off of Mount Union. Every single one of the players made a contribution to the game on Tuesday. The game was close at the beginning, but the Warriors started making contact a couple innings in. Makenna Moore had a double, scoring two runs for the Warriors. In the bottom of the fourth inning, Carsyn Wesesky was a clutch hitter for the Warriors, hitting a double into right field. Meghan Cantolina also added a double after Wesesky. Brooke Bainey had a single, knocking in more Warriors. Later in the game, in the sixth inning, many more Warriors got some hits.Kamryn Mactavish had a deep shot to the outfield, allowing for more runs for West Branch. Greysyn Gable and Makenna Moore also added more runs to the scoreboard. Makenna Moore led the Warriors going three for four at the plate.

Makenna Moore was strong on the mound striking out nine of the Trojans. Makenna Moore pitched the whole game only allowing eight hits. On the field, Hannah Betts was able to make an outstanding play by getting the ball in quickly to Brooke Bainey who got in a run down between second and first. The Warriors got the Mount Union player out in that play and had the momentum in the game from that point on.  

Head Coach Dan Betts says “We put the ball in play and I am very happy with the team’s performance. We really had a team effort up and down the lineup today.” Dan Betts decided to switch up the lineup and allow different players in different positions while also allowing some players to rotate in.

The Warriors moved on to play Moshannon Valley on Thursday, April 28th. West Branch has now advanced to a .500 record for the season.