Movie Review: Smile

Parker Finn releases Smile, a 2022 horror film based on the 2020 short film Laura Hasn’t Slept.
Image/Graphics by Ryan Stone on Unsplash
A photo of a smiley face to symbolize the smiling hallucinations Rose gets.

On September 30th, 2022, film director Parker Finn released the movie Smile. Smile is a rated R Horror/Psychological horror film and is approximately 1 hour and 55 minutes long. 

The movie is about young psychiatrist Dr. Rose Cotter, played by Sosie Bacon, who watches one of her patients commit suicide in front of her. The traumatic and shocking death triggers a domino effect that gives Rose the same curse her patient had, creating hallucinations of people with creepy smiles everywhere she looks. The condition caused Rose to confront her troubling past to survive and escape her horrifying new reality. 

When this movie was first released, I thought it would be stupid, but I went to see it in theaters a few nights ago and ended up loving it. The movie has the perfect blend of paranormal and psychological fear with a few non-predicted jump scares to make it the right flick to watch on a boring Friday night. 

The producers of Smile were very good with the pacing, as there was enough suspense to keep you gripped until the next intense scene consistently. It had a phenomenal soundtrack, which increased the suspense and engaged viewers’ attention. I feel that the greatest asset of Smile is its relentlessness. This film is about oppressive grime where children and pets are just as vulnerable as adults are. The horror elements can be graphic and are sometimes bloody and disturbing to match the dark theme of Smile. The movie has a lot of twists and turns but has an interesting ending that some might not appreciate. 

I think watching this film is better in theaters than at home because it is scarier in a dark theater and a better, more immersive experience. I would suggest you see this movie in theaters if you are a fan of horror movies.