The Warriors Fell to 0-2 After Heartbreaking Loss

West Branch comes up short 28-27 against Bucktail.
Image/Graphics by Alisa Liptak
Azadio Vargas rushes to score the second Warrior touchdown against Bucktail.

On Friday, September 1st, the Warrior football team traveled to Bucktail for their second game of the season. The Warriors had to go into the game with a blank slate because they haven’t played Bucktail recently, so they weren’t sure what to expect. Both teams fought hard to the very end. Unfortunately, West Branch came up short, ending with a score of 28-27 Bucktail.

Senior Tyler Biggans scored the first touchdown for West Branch. Captain Azadio Vargas also scored in the first half with a rushing touchdown which made the score 22-14 Bucktail. The Warrior defense was at a high when Austin Kerin and Scott Smeal had a combined sack. Senior Austin Kerin stated, “Despite the fact that we didn’t come out on top, the energy from the crowd and sideline after Easton caught the final touchdown is something I’ll never forget.” Sophomore Easton Emigh had an outstanding game with two touchdowns and 114 receiving yards on the night. Easton made a great catch on the last drive of the game, thrown by Tyler Biggans. It only put the Warriors down by one point. The Warrior coaches chose to attempt a two-point conversion. The Warriors fell short of the goal line which made the final score ending 28-27 Bucktail. 

Overall, even though the football team fell to Bucktail, there were still some highlights for our Warriors. Connor Danko, Wyatt Schwiderske, and Reed Yingling all marked up the stat sheet with each having a tackle for loss on defense. Tyler Biggans had a fumble recovery and led the team in tackles at Bucktail. Emma Bucha went three-for-three on extra point kicks which helped the Warriors gain on the Bucktail Bucks. The Warriors didn’t start off the season as they had hoped for, but they have room for improvement during the rest of the season, longing for more wins in the near future.buc