Alumni Watch: Kiersten “Kay” Smeal

Image/Graphics by Unknown
Kay posing with her latest book

Kiersten “Kay” Smeal, a graduate from 2015, has been chosen as a featured alumnus in the Alumni Watch series. Kiersten graduated in 2015 and followed the path of studying marine biology at Lock Haven University. During her time at Lock Haven, she found herself being called more towards ministry after experiencing opportunities through her church.  This led her to switch to Messiah College to pursue that type of career.

Today, Kiersten is attending Perkins School of Theology at Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas, working on her Master of Divinity. While studying, she works as a youth director at First United Methodist Church of Lewisville in Lewisville Texas. As a youth director, Kiersten leads Sunday school for youth, does a bible study on Thursdays, and hosts youth events on Sunday evenings. She also plans retreats and getaways and finds ways to celebrate birthdays, graduations, and other important dates. She occasionally helps with worship if it is needed.

Away from her job, Kiersten is still serving Christ. She has written a devotional, a book that provides a specific spiritual reading for each day that is available for purchase on Amazon called “Anxious Devotions for Anxious Christians- A 30-Day Devotional”. This devotional is to help people who are struggling with mental health. Each day it begins with a passage of scripture and ends in prayer. These devotions can be read at any point of the day and are aimed at providing readers with hope. Currently, she is working on a memoir about how she found Christ through depression and anxiety, and incorporates pieces of information on steps people can take in their own stories and life experiences.

In her free time, Kiersten writes and does research in local coffee shops. Out of coffee shops, she likes to read, draw, and spend time with her friends.