Staff Member of the Month

A photo of Mrs. Leathers after aiding in Mrs. Swisher’s classroom.

Mrs. Betty Leathers has been chosen as Staff Member of September 2020. Mrs. Leathers is a Paraprofessional-Instructional Aide at West Branch. Warrior Watch would like to give some recognition to Mrs. Leathers over her hard work and helpful assistance over the years.

Mrs. Leathers is an alumnus of Bald Eagle Area High School graduating class of 1974. In high school, she participated in several clubs, such as Pep Club, Glee Club, Bowling Club, and Honors Society. She also worked a part-time job at the A & D custard stand. Throughout her years of schooling, Mrs. Leathers had the support system of her grandmother. Her grandmother, a religious woman, guided Mrs. Leathers towards Christianity. Since receiving her first Bible and attending revival meetings, Mrs. Leathers says, “I accepted Christ as my savior and have been living for Him ever since.”

Following high school graduation, Mrs. Leathers worked for Hall’s IGA, until her first child was born. Mrs. Leathers was a stay at home mom until 1993 when she began work as an aide in the elementary. The appeal of having vacations off with her children, as well as being able to work with students, led Mrs. Leathers towards pursuing her career. Being an aide in the classroom allows Mrs. Leathers to work with students one on one, helping to shape them for their future. Mrs. Leathers says a highlight of her career is, “watching students who have no confidence bloom into young adults who had enough confidence to go out and seek careers as nurses, teachers, police officers, etc.”

Outside of school hours, Mrs. Leathers spends her time gardening, crocheting, and reading. She also takes time out of her day to visit those who are not able to leave their home. With COVID-19 in the air, it is a difficult time for the West Branch community. That being said, Warrior Watch sends Mrs. Leathers great appreciation for continuing her generosity and progressiveness during these unprecedented times. Thank you for all you have done Mrs. Leathers!