Black History Month

Image/Graphics by Photo credit to Britannica
Martin Luther King Jr. giving his “I Have a Dream” speech

February is devoted to African-Americans, also known as Black History Month. February honors African-Americans that played a significant role in U.S. history. Black History Month also recognizes African-Americans for both cultural and political accomplishments and struggles. 

How It Began

Black History Month first began in 1915, almost 50 years after slavery was abolished in the U.S. Carter G. Woodson, Alexander L. Jackson, William B. Hartgrove, George Cleveland Hall, James E. Stamps all founded the Association for the Study of Negro Life and History. In 1926, the group declared the second week of February as “Negro History Week”. Many people did not study Black History and it was rarely included in textbooks prior to the creation of “Negro History Week”. The second week of February was chosen because it coincided with Abraham Lincoln’s and Frederick Douglass’s birthdays. Abraham Lincoln eventually issued the Emancipation Proclamation, which freed slaves in states that were not in a rebellion. Frederick Douglass was an escaped slave who became an activist for other slaves and African-Americans.

Theme

Every year, Black History Month has a different theme. Last year’s theme was African-Americans and The Vote, and this year’s theme is The Black Family: Representation, Identity, and Diversity. Representation, identity, and diversity of African-Americans have been altered, stereotyped, and villainized for centuries. This month’s theme is trying to bring awareness to that.

Three Ways You Can Celebrate Black History Month

• Do Your Research And Discover The Truth About Black History Month
  • Read A Book About Black Discrimination, Slavery, etc. 
  • Watch A Documentary About Black History Month, Racism, etc.

Notable Figures Spotlighted During Black History Month

Claudette Colvin– First black woman to refused to sit in the back of a bus in the 1950s

Martin Luther King Jr.– Black activist and leader of the Civil Rights Movement from 1955-1968

Langston Hughes– Promoted racial equality through his poems, books, plays, etc.

Jackie Robinson– First African-American to play in Major League Baseball

Harriet Tubman– Was a conductor who was born a slave and led other slaves to freedom

Sources: