Female Athlete of the Week – Jenna Mertz

Image/Graphics by Cheryl Mertz-Kitko
Freshman Jenna Mertz runs one of her events at her first track meet.

Freshman Jenna Mertz has been named Warrior Watch’s Female Athlete of the Week for the week of 04/04/2021. Jenna has continued her freshman year of success into her first year competing in track and field. She competed in a total of four events at her first meet last Tuesday against Northern Bedford and Fannett-Metal. Jenna ran an impressive 13.1-second 100-meter dash time which gave her the first place victory over both teams. She also placed first in the 400-meter dash in which she ran a 1:04. In addition to her individual events, Mertz also helped the team take first in the 4×400-meter relay. 

Head Coach Adam Carr said, “Jenna has been phenomenal. It was clear very quickly that she is a special athlete. I expected her to break our girl’s 400-meter dash record, which she just did last night [04/13/2021]. I think she is just going to get faster as she learns to pace herself better, and she sees more competition, which will hopefully lead her to qualify for states.”

Facts about Jenna:

Grade: 9th
Parents: Cheryl Mertz-Kitko

Siblings: Ashley Mertz

Favorite Movie: Five Feet Apart

One Place you Want to Visit: Bora Bora

Favorite Restaurant: Texas Roadhouse