Lady Warriors Start the Season Off Strong

The Lady Warriors start the 2023 season with two straight wins.
Image/Graphics by Tracy Graham
The Lady Warriors huddle up and celebrate after the win against Moshannon Valley.

The Lady Warrior Softball team debuted Tuesday, March 28th, and started the season with a win. Makena Moore pitched a no-hitter against the Damsels and had 14 strikeouts.

Many players had a successful offensive night. Brooke Bainey, Greysyn Gable, and Madison Butler led the team with two hits each. Bainey brought in four of the eight runs with a home run in the second inning; she added another RBI later in the third inning with a base hit. By the end of the second inning, the Warriors racked up six runs. The Warriors drove in seven runs on seven hits in just the first three innings. They pushed in another run with two hits over the last four innings. After the win, the Lady Warriors were eager for their next game against Juniata Valley.

The Warriors started Thursday, March 30th, with the same lineup as Tuesday’s game. The defense was sturdy for the Lady Warriors, getting a quick three outs in the top of the first inning. Coming into the dugout, the Lady Warriors were hot with the bats again. The girls earned four runs in the first inning, forcing Juniata Valley to remove their starting pitcher from the circle. Greysyn Gable added to the home runs for the week, hitting a solo home run in the fourth inning. Makena Moore pitched another strong game, striking out fifteen batters.

In the top of the fifth inning, a few miscommunications and errors by the Lady Warriors allowed the Lady Hornets to slip back into the game, allowing them to score four runs. The Warriors responded, scoring two more runs in the bottom of the fifth. The Warriors returned to their strong defense, only allowing one more run in the top of the seventh inning. The Warriors ended with another win, scoring 7-5. Head Coach Dan Betts was pleased with the first week’s results, commenting, “I’m happy coming out of the first week 2-0, but we still have room for improvement, so there is work to be done.”

The Lady Warriors have a hectic schedule coming up. Starting Monday, April 3rd, they will play four straight games. They host Tyrone on Monday with a 4:30 p.m. start time. Tell the Lady Warriors good luck as they head into a busy week!